Friday, January 23, 2009

Doctors Visit


I hate this! That is how I felt yesterday at the doctor's office. Makenna had her 2 month check up yesterday morning. It went fine with her Pediatrician. She weighed in at 12.5lbs and 23 inches long. After asking the doctor a few too many questions, probably, she sent us down to the immunization office at Kaiser. Makenna received her first four vaccines. Three shots and one oral medicine. She did fine with the oral vaccine. The nurse said it was flavored with vanilla. Yum, I'm sure. You know newborns love flavored foods, when all they know is breastmilk. Her soar faced confirmed that notion. Then came the shots. The needles were so big, it seemed they would have gone right through her whole leg. Yikes. I braced myself and Drew and I spoke softly to her as the nurse gave her the first shot. Her face went dark red and she screamed the loudest we had ever heard her scream. My heart broke and I wanted to just cry along with her. Because she was already crying the last two were not nearly as shocking. When the shots were finished and her chubby thighs were bandaged up, I held her so tight, still choking back guilty tears. She quickly recovered and fell into a long deep nap on the way home. I felt so bad for her, but reminded myself that I too had these same shots when I was a baby. Do I remember them? No. Will she, no. Okay then get over yourself Mom! It was clearly more difficult on me, then it was on her. Today she is already over it. Drew said it is good character development.

No comments:

Post a Comment